Garner finishes off their record-breaking season with 70-64 win over nationally #39 Ardrey Kell. Super senior Julius Barnes leads the Trojans (28-1) with 26 points and Tournament MVP. Garner races to an 18 point lead and then hold off a furious Mustangs comeback that saw the Garner lead cut to one. But Barnes ices the game from the free throw line down the stretch to claim the first school team title since the 2008 Trojan Cheerleaders. Thomas Allen, Garner’s Most Outstanding Player, finished with 16 points and Nick Kuhns , who was awarded the NCHSAA Sportsmanship Award prior to the game, added 13. Kell led by six seniors in compiling 28-2 record while Garner’s underclassman prove the better in the school’s first finals appearance since the 1936 squad.
- Town of Garner celebrates The Champs
- Fantastic photo gallery from Coach Jason Boyette (’96) and SweetTeaV Productions
- 2015 Championship Day highlight video from Johnny Johnson (’71) Coach Jason Boyette (’96), Matt Sanderson & the Trojan Sports Network
- Photos from Championship Saturday from HighSchoolOT
- D.Clay Best N&O recap
- Garner-Cleveland & N&O staff reports
- HighSchoolOT recap
- Coach Gray named 2015 NCHSAA “Male Coach of the Year”
- Barnes named AP All-State team
- Coach Gray named the AP Coach of the Year
- Barnes named to NCCA East All-Star team
- Trojan Sports Network archived broadcast
And extra kudos to the awesome Blue Crew for their ardent cheering for the Southeast Raleigh girls who fell in their NCHSAA 4A title game. Upon arrival in the Dean Dome, The Crew cheered the Lady Bulldogs back from a double-digit deficit, as they narrowed the Myers Park lead to just 5 and brought most of the crowd to their feet. Excellent representation of our school and support for a conference rival.
Click on each page for zoomable view; Garner-Cleveland Record, March 18th issue